What a Weekend!

After a late night on Friday there was an opportunity for a moderate sleep in on the Saturday morning before heading into Boylston Street for a 261 Fearless meet up for race logistics. It was an awesome opportunity to meet some more team members! I also picked up our team gear. The atmosphere on Boylston was increasing towards fever pitch…. the lines for the expo snake along streets and around corners and I was grateful to have gone and picked up my bib the day before.

That afternoon, Kilner and I ventured south to the JFK Library and Museum. It was an inspirational afternoon and this quote reminded me that every journey starts with the first step and then we keep moving.


It was also wonderful to catch up with Jo from Rejoov Runners for dinner that evening. There were many fellow Aussies in town for the marathon but this was the one time we managed a catch up among all the other commitments. It was also one of the few evenings where we got to bed at a reasonable hour.


Sunday was a busy day! It was an early start. We had a 261 Fearless team shake out run/ media event at Adidas Marathon Runbase. More team member connections were made and we ran as a group to the marathon finish line. 17952672_1390954250965573_3822998440080090124_nWe then had a light breakfast at the Runbase whilst Kathrine and friends reenacted the 1967 incident that started it all. The atmosphere was electric. So much so that I almost lost track of time for the next event.

Next stop was Fenway Park for a Boston Red Sox baseball game. Kathrine threw the ceremonial first pitch and some 261 Fearless team members had the opportunity to go onto the field for when she was presented with a special jersey. It had her name and 261 number on it! Very cool!



As a Red Sox fan I really enjoyed being part of the experience and being at my first game at Fenway. We stayed until the bottom of the 4th innings.

Event three of the Day was our 261 Fearless Team dinner. It was another great moment to catch up with teammates, see Kathrine again and get our books signed, and of course have our last big meal before the marathon. The great news here was that we found out that we had raised in total over $825K USD for 261 Fearless. Truly an amazing achievement on top of all the training!


As the night progressed I felt desperation to get off my feet and eventually this got the better of me and we headed off back to our hotel for the final preparations. In terms of hours slept, it was probably too few, however they did feel like quality hours and there was no tossing and turning. The only issue was waking up in the middle of the night with cramps in my calves. OUCH!


Before long it was 3:30am and my alarm went off. I met my fellow team member for the bus to the start line at 4:30am and we made it to Hopkinton just after sunrise. There were a few hours of waiting until our start time at 11:15am. I crossed the finish line 5 hours and 3 seconds later.

Race recap to follow.

Xxx Lesl